The ability to extract biological information from a given environment has undergone substantial change in just the past 3 years.
Some of the latest hardware designed for quantitative PCR, antibody and protein detection, and genomic sequencing can easily fit in your coat pocket. The writing on the wall illustrates a future where advanced molecular diagnostics, biosurveillance, and forensic testing no longer requires transporting a sample back to a central reference laboratory. Samples can be processed on site, at the point-of-need, alleviating processing bottlenecks and dramatically reducing the time to acquire an actionable result.
However, this future has not yet been realized. Despite the footprint of the molecular hardware becoming remarkably small, the operational footprint of the work is not equally small. Ancillary equipment, including power supply, cold-chain storage, computational capacity, a stable workbench, biohazard waste disposal strategies, and other logistics – all necessary for the effective use of the full complement of modern, hand-held genomics hardware – are capable of growing the operational footprint of these devices to sizes that are not reasonable to deploy at the point-of-need.
MRIGlobal has developed a product to address this problem.
MRIGlobal is excited to announce the introduction of Mercury Lab, a single-person portable laboratory workbench designed for point-of-need operations. With this product launch, MRIGlobal ushers in a new generation of field-forward laboratory capabilities. Samples for advanced molecular diagnostics, biosurveillance, and forensic testing can now be processed on site, dramatically reducing the time to acquire an actionable result and safeguarding the quality of the sample by eliminating the need.
Mercury Lab is a single, lockable, grab-and-go case that can be wheeled through an airport and checked as luggage, thrown in the back of a pickup truck, or even strapped to the back of a motorbike. It can be set up on site in a few minutes, and be packed up just as quickly. It includes a power supply, cold-chain storage, computational capacity, a stable workbench, biohazard waste disposal strategies and more. Mercury Lab brings a fully operational laboratory to the sample.
Mercury Lab currently has the following features:
- An ergonomic, fold-out, sterilize-able laboratory workbench with spill-control features and an LED overhead work light
- Shelf storage for pipettes and laboratory workflow consumables (e.g., pipette tips, ambient reagents, etc.), configured for easy-access while working at the laboratory bench, contained in a removable backpack
- Integrated computational hardware: Intel NUC 6i7KYK w/ 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD, linked to a Nvidia Quadro P4000 GPU card. Can be configured with your choice of OS (i.e., Linux or Windows) and comes standard with MRIGlobal’s PanGIA real-time metagenomics taxonomy classification software pre-installed.
- Computer is controlled via wireless bluetooth keyboard/mouse and 15.6” HD display monitor mounted above the workbench
- Custom integrated cooling to prevent computational-induced overheating
- Optional LTE Mobile Broadband modem (user-supported service contract)
- Integrated AC/DC inverter and hash filter to allow for dirty power via 12V lead-acid car battery (either standalone, or from a running vehicle) while protecting equipment, connected to a DPST system shut-down switch. An integrated battery-power monitor advises on available charge.
- Two (2) U.S. standard 120V power outlets and two (2) USB 3.0 outlets
- A bracket to house and secure an additional user-selected storage option – choose from; 3.5 L CREDO cold-chain cube (4*C or -20*C – up to 96 hours of stable, un-powered cold storage), or additional soft-sided, adjustable shelving unit
- An included, wrap-around windscreen to moderately shield exposed workbench sides from wind and other elements
- Oversized 4” wheels for travel over bumpy city sidewalks and field terrain
Our newly revealed Mercury Lab is now available for preorder.*
For a limited time, Mercury Lab will be available for a promotional introductory price. Supply is limited so pre-order today.
*Units are expected to be available Summer 2020
TO GET A QUOTE or to preorder, PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW