MRIGlobal Cultivates and Optimizes Algal and Cellulosic Materials for Sustainable Use of Resources, Renewable Energy
Algae, food crops, grassy and woody plants, residues from agriculture or forestry, and organics from municipal and industrial wastes are examples of biomass that MRIGlobal uses to solve carbon management, energy, and environmental challenges.
MRIGlobal specialists in biotechnology, chemistry, systems engineering and bioinformatics deliver integrated research and development services, for every step of the product development life cycle, from concept to market.
- Identify and optimize algal species
- Unique bioreactor technology with operating open pond “raceway” cultivation and closed-loop photobioreactors
- Carbon dioxide sequestration and carbon management analysis
- Biofuel production engineering, extraction and fermentation processes
- Cultivate, evaluate, and enhance plants, residues, and crops as cellulosic biomass
- Bench tests, pilot tests, and field trials
- Transportation logistics and commercial-scale production analysis
- Expertise in regulatory requirements
- 230 acres of experimental agriculture field stations
MRIGlobal’s Biomass Successes:
- Center for Integrated Algal Research offers a full spectrum of resources to optimize algal species and develop algal-based technologies
- Improved utilization of biomass with advanced applications and processes
- Carbon management technology, nutrient recycling and land management processes deployed in custom solutions for sustainable utilization of resources
- Alternate sources of renewable energy, such as prairie grasses and switch grasses, are being evaluated and developed
- High-value co-products developed from biomass, including biochar and fertilizer materials, which improve economic viability and environmental stewardship
Biofuel: Back to the Future
Did you know that the diesel engine was originally invented to run on vegetable oil? What goes around, evidently does come back around. Today, aquaculture—farming algae—is creating vegetable oil for fueling vehicles and aircraft.