MRIGlobal Traffic Engineers Enhance Highway Work Zone Safety
MRIGlobal has evaluated effective methods to provide safety, mobility, and worker protection in maintenance and construction work zones. These methods use traffic management techniques to accelerate roadway construction and minimize traffic disruption on roadway projects.
MRIGlobal expertise covers development of traffic control plans, work zone speed limits, and safety management, including optimum use of work zone barriers.
- Traffic control plan development
- Analysis of work zone speed limits
- Work zone safety management
- Analysis and recommendations for worker protection
- Internal traffic control plans
- Work zone barriers and attenuators
- Strategies for accelerating construction
- Policy development
- Development of training materials
MRIGlobal’s Work Zone Traffic Control Successes:
- Training: MRIGlobal staff conducted training for federal and state agencies and for contractor associations. MRIGlobal participated in the development of training courses on advanced work zone management and design for the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
- Policy and guidelines: MRIGlobal’s research results have been incorporated in Part VI of the FHWA Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and in Chapter 9 of the Roadside Design Guide of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
- Worker protection: For construction firms and government agencies, MRIGlobal staff members have evaluated safety and mobility in highway work zones and worker protection in maintenance and construction work zones.